Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pro-Life

I didn't mention in my introduction that I am firmly and strongly pro-life.

My position coalesced many years ago when I was at my cousins house, we were watching TV and a news story was on about abortion. We started to talk about it. I knew in my heart it was very wrong. But I never addressed the subject before - it never touched my life - I didn't have the facts to argue my position.

So I started reading about it. My conviction became stronger and stronger. Soon I had the facts and my cousin would no longer talk to me about the subject because she couldn't argue the facts I presented.

I eventually started a pro-life group in my parish. And yes I did protest and pray at abortion mills - peaceably.

Has abortion since touched my life? Yes. I learned a female friend had an abortion when she was sixteen; her parents took her to the mill. Eventually her marriage failed. I had noted during my friendship with her that she didn't show love to her children, not did she love herself very much. I blame this on post-abortion syndrome.

At another time I had read a letter to the editor in my local diocesan newspaper. A girl had relayed her horrible experience and after effects of her abortion. As I read this story tears fell from my eyes. I wrote to the editor of my reaction to her letter. She contacted me through the newspaper and we had a long telephone conversation. She still remains in my prayers.

Abortion not only has a devastating effect on the baby - death, but on the mother as well. There are so many walking wounded out there.

To close this subject let me just say that a baby in the womb is not just a mass of tissue - ultrasound proves that. It is not a part of the mother's body, it resides in the mothers body - it has different DNA. There is no miracle that occurs in the passage through the birth canal. If it is a baby after birth, it is a baby before birth.

No comments: