Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Latin Mass

Because of some recent blog posts, I have been thinking of the old Latin rite of the Mass (Tridentine). I recall it with some nostalgia. I experienced it as a boy and as a teenager. What I recall most strongly was/is its sacredness, Holiness, and sublimeness. Once, a number of years ago, I attended a Pius X Society Mass. I did it to remember things past. It was rewarding. Yet, I must say I was not pleased with some of the participation and recalled the same from my memory. Many of the attendees were in their own world during these Latin rite Masses; some were following along with their Missals and yet many were reading other devotionals, their favorite prayers, etc. (not necessarily bad, I'm sure they were communicating with God). I think the benefit of the new Mass was more active participation.

Yet there is that nostalgia and the longing for that greater sense of the sacred. For whatever benefits of the Novus Ordo I think we lost something important.

Perhaps a trifle, but I miss the choreography, if you will, of the Priest and alter boys as they moved about, their active participation and responses. I was an alter boy in training - learning the Latin responses and movements - though I never completed the training and became one. But what I did experience was important to me.

And I do mean alter boys with deference to members of the opposite sex. I think the shortage of priests is due, in part, because we don't have alter boys in which to plant the seeds of service to God and the church. Yes, we still do have alter boys, sometimes, but the role they play today is very minor; no responses, just holding a candle during the Gospel or holding the Sacramentary for the priest.

Now perhaps there is a change about us. With Pope Benedict's motu proprio Summorum Pontificum there is the possibility of having more Latin rite Masses. Though some priests will have to learn Latin. And none are offered in my area right now. I look forward to attending a Latin Mass now and then.

I call myself a post-Vatican II conservative. What I mean is that I believe many of the reforms were good and necessary. But the liberals went too far. For them change needs to be a constant. But in terms of the Church and Tradition change should be a rarity and thought out.

Where is the beautiful sacred music now? We have churches-in-the-round. Some look like parking structures. Some I can't tell if I am in a Protestant church or Catholic.

I hope we find Summorum Pontificum a help in the reform of the reform. But I also pray it does not lead to further breaks in the church.

For the test of Summorum Pontificum please go to:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/b16SummorumPontificum.htm

For an article on Summorum Pontificum go to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summorum_Pontificum

No comments: