Saturday, August 22, 2009

Healthcare - A really good article


Nearing retirement and slowing down, I'm concerned about health care. But not for myself alone, but for everyone. It is a very complicated issue. I have been thinking about Obamacare - it fills the news. But are we getting the facts? I think not.

I've looked at H.R. 3200. No I have not read all 1,000 pages. Who can without a team of lawyers to help make sense out of it? But the legislators have tried to rush it through without most of them understanding what is in it, or ever bothering to read it. Why the rush? So that we wouldn't have time to get a handle on it.

What I have heard and read I don't like. I don't like the inevitable rationing, or the inevitable government system - as it is easy to understand the government will make the rules, they don't have to make a profit and companies will naturally go for the cheaper option. So in the end nationalized health care.

And abortion is elective and it is definitely not health care. Yet it seems we will be paying for it.

Thanks to the Anchoress, I was pointed to a really good article on health care in The Atlantic. It was written by David Goldhill. It is rather long but I urge you to take the time to read it. It surveys the current state of health care and suggests some options.

You can read it here.

Nevertheless I urge you to contact your Senators and Representative and tell them what you think - I did. The health care system needs to be fixed. It does not need to be taken over by the government.

No comments: