Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Aquinas 101


With deference to our Franciscan brother St. Bonaventure, I’ve been studying St. Thomas Aquinas’ thought, philosophy and theology for about a year now. I’ve finished reading the first of his five
volume Summa Theologiae.

The Summa is difficult, but most of the difficulties lie in the volume of his works and in his terms. I say this because I just finished Aquinas 101 by Rev. Francis Selman, and I must say this is a terrific book to read if you have an interest in St. Thomas or what to know the basis of a lot of Catholic philosophy and theology. Selman presents St. Thomas in a very clear and easily understandable way. I feel greatly rewarded for having read it.

More so, I am impressed by the height of Thomas’ knowledge and his love for God which is clear in every paragraph he writes.


So impressed am I with this book, I’m considering facilitating a book discussion group in my parish.

2 comments:

Louis M said...

Read the Summa some years back (an abdridged version) some years back. His proof for the existance of God is brilliant. :)

Tom, O.F.S. said...

I finished volume one, some parts vary difficult, can't seem to get through volume two.