Saturday, March 22, 2008

Active Participation

With Easter here, I would like to jot down some of my thoughts on active participation in the Mass. I've noticed many Catholics show up for Mass but they arn't really into it, or halfway so.

Many don't sing, I don't know why this is so. I've been to a lot of churches in my diocese and find the same all over. This is not true everywhere. I had an enriching experience in the Diocese of Rapid City a number of years ago and I was shocked becasue everyone sang. I was shocked because no one left until the final hymn was sung and I didn't even notice children squirming.

It is so rewarding to attend a Mass when there is active participation. Again a number of years ago I attended a quinquennial of the Secular Franciscans and the room resounded with voices during the hymns and responses. How great an experience! Why do I not experience this every Sunday?

When I am receiving the Eucharist I clearly and strongly reply "Amen!" Yet for those in front of me, I can hardly hear them, if at all, mumble their response.

What is going on here? Let's put our heart into it.

No comments: