Friday, September 19, 2008

The SFO Rule No. 17


"In their family they should cultivate the Franciscan spirit of peace, fidelity, and respect for life, striving to make of it a sign of a world already renewed in Christ. By living the grace of matrimony, husbands and wives in particular should bear witness in the world to the love of Christ for His Church. They should joyfully accompany their children on their human and spiritual journey by providing a simple and open Christian education and being attentive to the vocation of each child."


Though the name of this blog is Tom S.F.O. I note that most of my posts are not of a Secular Franciscan nature. I hope to correct this in the future.
I have read the Rule many times over the years. I did so again today. Perhaps Number 17 of the Rule, quoted above, never hit me before. As a bachelor perhaps I glossed over it with its mention of family and marriage. But what struck me today was the words "respect for life". Perhaps in previous readings I understood this to reference all of nature, all life. But today I hear it telling me respect for the unborn human life.
From a sampling of my previous posts my prolife conviction is readily known. But for this to jump out to me today is interesting. That respect for life is in my Rule. It is like it has not dawned on me before.
As Franciscans we are called to follow the Pope and the Magisterium of the Church. When it comes to respect for life I don't need the Pope or the Church to tell me that the killing of the unborn is wrong and a grave sin. It is within us. In our very nature. It is unfathomable to me to think that for some this is not so.
We all know of the cafeteria Catholics who pick and choose what they will. When it comes to abortion I am unable to understand that this is O.K. I am so happy that many Bishops have spoken out and corrected those pro-abortion "Catholics" who receive the Eucharist.
What has troubled me in the recent past was that there was a Secular Franciscan in my Secular Franciscan Region who ran for congress who was very vocally pro-abortion, running against a pro-life incumbant. She lost. But what grieves me is that no one from her Fraternity, not the Region, nor National made any attempt to correct her. Without contrition and a change of heart she should have been booted from the order.
Though we are not to judge, there are times we are called to correct our brother or sister who is in error with love and compassion. But to completely ignore the issue is wrong in my judgement. As a parent corrects a child who is in error out of love. So must we as Catholics correct each other, especially in a matter so grave.


No comments: