Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Acedia

Acedia has appeared in the blogosphere of late, Deacon Greg for one, generated by Kathleen Norris' book "Acedia & Me". Not familiar with the term? Neither was I, but we are familiar with acedia, if not by name.

The American Heritage Dictionary defined acedia as: "Spiritual torpor and apathy; ennui." Not much help? Torpor: A state of mental or physical inactivity or insensibility. Ennui: "Listlessness and dissatisfaction resulting from lack of interest; boredom".

I have not read Kathleen's book (yet). But here is my take. Mostly, we live in our own world. Morning routine, travel, work, travel, dinner, television, sleep. On the weekends it is housecleaning, shopping, errands, yard work, perhaps eating out, some entertainment, hopefully church. We all have our own routine. Other then watching the news (usually biased - let them think for us) we know little (or care) what is happening around us. It usually takes something to jog us from our torpor.

There are so many things out there that needs our attention. We can't do everything, but we can do something. My blog quote is from Edmund Burke "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

My answer to acedia is to pray and act. Find some form of prayer a few minutes a day, for me it is the Liturgy of the Hours. Find something that touches your heart, something that needs you. You know your talents. There are so many ways to contribute. And you will find it most rewarding.

Like I said it usually takes something that jogs us. In 1991 when my mother died the Church extended itself toward me. I decided to repay the kindness by becoming an active member of my parish, I was no longer satisfied with being a Sunday morning Catholic. I soon became a Lay Minister and it was also at this time I found my calling to be a Secular Franciscan.

But what touched my heart was abortion. I wrote about it when I started this blog. You can find it here. But I didn't know much about it. I didn't have the facts. So I began to read about it. The more I did, the more my conviction grew. I soon started a Respect Life Committee in my parish.

Here is where acedia hit me. When I started the committee, put information about an inaugural meeting and information night, only a few showed up. This was in a parish that had over 3,000 families registered. Where was everyone? Didn't they care? Acedia.

But you know - I didn't realize it then - these few people were all we needed. We were a thriving group and did many things, held baby showers, raised funds by selling roses on Mother's Day, conducted pro-life prayer services, letter campaigns, etc.

So don't let acedia take hold. Pray. Find something, alone or start a group. Write your legislators. Vote.

No comments: