Saturday, July 25, 2009

St. Caesarius of Arles

I've just become acquainted with St. Caesarius of Arles. I have been reading the volumn on Mark in the "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture: series. In this series they take the various passages from the Bible and insert passages from the writings of the Church Fathers that relate to the text.

I've found it interesting to see what the various Fathers have said about the passages in Scripture. In doing so I've seen some selections from Caesarius of Arles, who I have not heard of before. So I did a little research via the internet and found some of his sermons.

In reading Sermon 1 I found it quite interesting as one of my pet peeves is what I call 'la la' homilies. In this sermon Caesarius exhorts his fellow bishops and priests to preach more often and at Mass as well. I guess in the Sixth Century it was not common for Priests to give homilies at Mass.

Having found this sermon rewarding, I thought I would share it. See the link below. Excuse any errors as I had to convert it from a pdf file to Word 2007.

No comments: