Sunday, September 30, 2012

37 Days


I've committed myself along with many others to pray for the elections 40 days prior. This is day 37 before the elections. We all need to do our part and discern who we should be voting for. And we need to accept the responsibility of our citizenship to vote. There are so many critical issues at stake. We should all have a well-formed conscience and should be in-formed regarding the issues so we can make the proper decisions.

This time is also important because October is Respect Life month. I ask everyone that if you have not given this much thought lately to do so during this month. I am overwhelmed when I focus on the reality of 1.5 million abortions a year in the United State. That number is so hard to grasp. 166 babies lose their life each hour of each day. I wonder why it is often called a pro-life cause, or a pro-life movement. Life is a gift from God, be it at conception or ones last hour, be it poor or rich, perfect or disabled, wanted or unwanted. Our humanity makes us pro-life, so it is not a movement or a cause; it is intrinsic to our very nature. It is ingrained in our very souls. Would not anyone of us do what was necessary to protect a young child in danger, up to and including giving our very life for it? It is natural, it is morally and ethically right.

There will be many opportunities to exhibit our values this month. On Sunday October 7th  all across this nation so many committed people will participate in the Life Chain. I encourage you to find where in your area the Life Chain will be located and to give an hour to pray and silently, publicly witness for the unborn.

Many churches will be displaying white crosses on church grounds in October representing these children lost every hour of every day. Find one in your area, come, drive by and be touched. Better yet, stop and pray.

Being committed to respect for life, now and then I am reminded why I do this. Tonight I watched a wonderful movie entitled “October Baby.” If you have not seen it, I wholeheartedly encourage you to do so. And keep watching to see the vignette during the start of the credits at the end of the movie.

Please join me in prayer for the elections, our nation and for the babies these last 37 days before the elections.

Thanks for reading my musings. My blessings to all of you.

No comments: